Friday, August 30, 2013

When He Whispers

wait till you see it on;)

Me: "Lord, I'm tired and hungry... I'm tired of looking at apartments..."
God: "Go home."
Me: "Okay, maybe I'll go out later..."
God: "Stop at that store first"
Me: "Which store?"
God: "Trading Tigers - that consignment store"
Me: "Why?" (stupid question when you are talking to God by the way)
God: "Just go"
Me: "Okay, fine"

I turned into the parking lot and parked my car. I grabbed my wallet from the front seat, shoved my phone into my pocket and locked the door. I walked up to the front of the store, and then I saw it. The dress I have been coveting for weeks... with a sign on it. Shoot, it's probably taken and someone just has it on hold. But, as I get closer, I see the sign doesn't say "Sold", it says, "All Summer Items 50% Off".

Me: "Seriously??"
God: "Well, isn't that what you prayed for?"
Me: "Um, yeah, but..."
God: "But nothing, go try it on, even though you already know it is going to be perfect"

I walked into the store and asked the sales lady if I could try on the dress. She said, "Of course! I hope it works for you. Several people have tried it on lately, but it didn't work for any of them. But maybe it will work for you!"

I went into the dressing room to try on the dress, already knowing it was going to be perfect. However, once I had it on, I couldn't resist stepping out to get a second opinion.

"Oh my gosh! It's perfect", the sales lady gushed.

"You know", I said, "I believe in prayer, and I asked the Lord for this dress last week, and look what happened?"

As I stepped back into the dressing room to change back, she said, "Well, I was kind of tired of taking that dress on and off the mannequin, so I guess we both had an answered prayer today!"

I paid for my beautiful new dress and left the store. Getting into my car, I heard that soft voice say,

God: "See?"
Me: "See what?"
God: "If I can give you the dress you asked for 2 weeks ago, exactly how you wanted it, why worry that I am going to find you the perfect apartment?"
Me: "I don't know.... Because I'm dumb. Thank you for my dress though.... it is amazing"
God: "You're welcome, now stop fretting already!"
Me: "Ha ha, okay! But Lord, where am I going to where my new dress...?"

Sometimes I fret. I fret because the timeline set forth in my mind rarely matches the timeline God has for me. I fret because it is human nature. Because I want to have answers for everyone else. Because I want to have answers for myself. 

I longingly gazed at a beautiful dress everyday as I walked home from the bus stop. And the second time I did, I whispered to my Father that I wanted to have it.

He didn't answer back right away. But today He whispered back to me that I could have it. I'm sure glad I was listening. So as I go about this next adventure in my life, I am going to tell my Dad what I want, and then try and patiently wait for His answer. 

And I better be paying attention, because it will probably be a whisper....

No comments:

Post a Comment