Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Do Life 2015: Do Your Own Life

I woke up at 4:30am.

Without an alarm.

Disgusting....

However, my aunt and I have a philosophy that if you wake up early without and alarm, then it must be time to pray about something important.

This morning though, instead of prayer, I spent some time mulling over something that has left me puzzled for about a week.

For sake of clarity, I will backtrack slightly.

The past two years I have had a personal theme for each year, and then have tried to blogged about it.

I have great intentions, but not enough time..

Anyway... 2014 was the year of love... (read about it here)

And 2015 has been about doing life. It has been amazing! 

(So amazing in fact, I haven't blogged since May...lol)

I have however, read a lot of BuzzFeed articles. Not always sure that is a good life choice...

I mean, I can justify I use BuzzFeed to read the news, or I can be honest and say I really just take quizzes telling me where I should live based on my donut preference.

Which comes with a completely legitimate result thank you very much!

Back to my mulling and pondering...

The last few weeks have been filled with articles about people's failings, people's stupidity, people's lack of tact, etc.

What always surprises me though, is not the number of articles written, but in the number of people who think they have the answers for these people and their problems.

So wait...your life is in such great shape, you can write a blog post for someone you don't know, about something you haven't experienced for someone who will most likely never read it?

Interesting.

You mean to say that you have so much extra time on your hands, you can spend it writing about someone else's life vs your own?

Honestly...I'd rather read about your life. Maybe. Unless you write about snakes. Then I'm probably not going to read it.

I'd rather read about how Jesus is manifesting Himself in your life than your opinion on how another individual should or shouldn't live their life.

This is all coming from someone who is EXTREMELY opinionated and has to check herself all. the. time...

Personal Motto? 

Before I write about someone else or a situation, I ask myself these questions:

  1. Would I want this written about me?
  2. Do I know them/the situation well enough to even have this opinion?
  3. If I met them later on in life, would I be embarrassed I wrote this?
All that to say, even though I have many strong and possibly valid opinions, they don't all need to be written down and forever immortalized on the Internet.

Sometimes they can just stay in my home group. Or in my journal. Or in my head.

It feels like people are really free with opinions about situations that will probably never affect them. And if they finally do? Those who spoke the loudest initially are the most quiet in the end.

Final thought?

Stop writing about everyone else's life and go out and live your own.

The story Jesus is writing with you is the best one to tell anyway.

#dolife2015





2 comments:

  1. "Do I know them/the situation well enough to even have this opinion?" - and AMEN to this!! Thanks for writing and posting (actually quite hysterically). My beef is people making money, speaking and publishing books (which are just cliche's) about stuff they haven't experienced...Libby Weaver for one has NEVER had kids and stands on stage spouting how she knows how it feels...GET A LIFE!! and the other one is [oh this REALLY annoys me!!] people who spout on about what to do to get over depression when they haven't ever played that card either (and you always KNOW because they have the genius idea that you can just snap out of it by going for a run or starting a new project!)...the medical profession and 95% of bloggers! So THANK-YOU!! I LOVE your AUTHENTIC and hilarious post!!...another writer and sometime blogger (when I am not living my life!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg for the encouraging feedback! I always wonder if people will get my humor, haha! Hope you have an epic day!

      Delete