Thursday, October 27, 2016

simplicity 2016: what is dressember?

Two years ago I attended an event at Seattle Pacific University that was raising awareness about human trafficking. It was a documentary showing and it was super intense. At least for me.

I'll be honest, it left me feeling very uncomfortable and at a loss for what my next step was supposed to be.

I now realize that was such a good place to be in. 

Because it launched me towards knowledge, understanding, and a desire to see change in the world.

Currently there are over 27 million people in slavery worldwide. That's just not okay, and I want to bring awareness and shed light so that we can change that statistic.

****

Last year, in order to find a way to get involved, I participated in a campaign called Dressember

In a nutshell, women use something inherently feminine (a dress) and use it to start conversations about the issue that is human trafficking; as well as try to raise funds that go towards rescuing people out of this terrible way of life.


For the entire month of December, I wore a dress everyday, took a picture, and posted on social media to spread the message. 

It was a truly powerful experience and I am doing it again this year. The only difference is that due to my theme of #simplicity, I will be wearing the same dress everyday for the entire month!

I think it is overall going to be such a good experience for me to simplify my everyday in order to give more thought to this serious issue. And how we can be apart of the change.

****

I would absolutely LOVE, is if you guys would consider joining me for the Dressember campaign.

However, I realize that not everyone is able to participate in the same way that I did. 

But, if you are interested in learning more about this and how you can make a difference, here are some ways to get involved:)


1) Consider giving up ONE specialty coffee and donating that money to my Dressember campaign

*One rescue mission costs approximately $100,000 start to finish, so every little bit helps!

2) Join our team and get in on the epicness that is Dressember:)

*If you can't wear a dress everyday, that's okay! You can still participate! And guys can get involved too! Wear a bow tie! That counts!

3) Share on social media this link to help bring awareness to the issue of human trafficking

*Awareness is a huge part of changing this narrative! How can we change what we do not know.

4) Be curious and willing to learn

*Books, documentaries, non-profit websites - the resources to learn are out there. Curiosity, even towards that which is uncomfortable, is a good thing.


Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and consider getting involved. 

Human beings are not commodities, and our world will be a much more beautiful place when we value the worth of someone for who they are, and not what they can be exploited for.

Feel feel to share and ask me more questions!!! Let's be world changers!

No comments:

Post a Comment