Friday, September 27, 2013

Socks with Sandals

There is a perception in the PNW (Pacific Northwest) that wearing socks with sandals is not only an acceptable fashion statement, but also a requirement. And even though I am a Northwest girl, born and bred, I tend to disagree, ALOT....

To be truthful, it was not something I learned from watching my friends or even from watching "What Not To Wear". No, it is a deeply rooted belief, established firmly by my loving father. You see, dear dad knew what was important in life. Next to loving Jesus, you must love baseball, you must iron your jeans before wearing them, and you must never wear socks with sandals. (And according to my sister, Dad said Birkenstocks were hippie shoes, and were not allowed in our house, lol)
 
Up until yesterday, I would say I was doing pretty good with 2 out of 3.....

Alas, I must now hang my head in shame and dispair..... for I have failed.... on a level of epic proportion.....

However, I tend to give myself a certain amount grace when I am sick.... which is why I feel that this fashion faux pas can be overlooked, at least this one time.

First of all, it must be stated that I am the worst person in the WORLD at dressing according to the weather. Like, I will wear sleeveless in the snow and sweaters in the sunshine. I do not plan well at all. So yesterday, as I ran out the door to catch the bus, it did not register how impractical my sandals were going to be. In fact, it really didn't register how COLD it was until it was too late.
 
There I was, sniffling away on the bus, wearing my cotton dress and sandals..... (insert face palm)
 
I arrived at work, miserable, coughing up a lung, with cold feet and desperately in need of a cup of coffee.

On my break I went over to Safeway to buy medicine and my much needed jolt of java. And then I did something I told myself I would never do.

I searched for and found the desired item, quickly paid for it and came back to my office to proceed with shame....
 
Slowly, and with a huge sigh, I cut the tag off the socks I had just purchased at the grocery store. Oh yeah baby, desperate times call for you to embarrass yourself in lieu of comfort and wellness.

And there I was, in all my fashionable glory, bundled up with my scarf, warm coat, socks and sexy sandals. BAM! Smokin...

Some people had the guts to ask, while others stared on in awe (probably not awe, but because they didn't clarify, I choose awe). For those who had the guts to ask, I told them. I told them that is was a great Thursday - my coffee was cold, I wanted Alka-Seltzer in an IV, I just bought socks at the grocery store and now I am wearing them with my sandals. All in all, I had hit a new low, even for me. (insert another face palm)
 
Finally my feet warmed up and the socks could be retired. The rest of the day was productive and no one creepy sat next to me on the bus ride home. A winner of day if you ask me.
 
So, how was Thursday? Hope it was as exciting and fabulous as mine turned out to be.

Remember, laugh at yourself, have a good time, don't sweat the small stuff and don't wear socks with sandals.
 
If you nail that one, you are set for life!
 
Happy Friday All!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. This made my day. Really gave me the laugh I was needing. Why? Because I can totally see you giving this rant in real life. Wish you were closer so Trevor and I could bring you some chicken soup, a good movie, a few laughs and some warm slippers. Love you and feel better.

    ReplyDelete