Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Do Life 2015: My Pinterest Life

This morning at work, we did a really powerful exercise. 


I found to be thought provoking, directionally challenging and personally motivating.


We were posed the following question, in relationship to goals:

 "are your actions matching and supporting your intentions?"

Interestingly enough, I had asked myself a similar question about a week ago when I was working on my theme for 2015.

You see, I am part dreamer/part overachiever/part devastatingly depressing realist. 


The struggle is real guys...

When I was initial planning and brainstorming about this coming year, I immediately thought, "GRAND ADVENTURES!!!"


And then the thought process took the following downward spiral.....

  1. Grand adventures needs to be pursued?
  2. How many should I pursue?
  3. 2,015? Because of the year?
  4. Yeah, that's a great idea!
  5. Aforementioned adventures need to be documented!
  6. Wait, that's like 5-6 adventures a day...
  7. That means I have to write every single day....
  8. What if I don't have that many adventures?
  9. Oh my gosh, I'm going to fail and I haven't even started yet!!
  10. This is just too much, I'm going to pin to my "Adventure" board on Pinterest....
It's quite pathetic how dramatic my inner monologue can be.

A week goes by and I started to rethink my plan, and ask myself if my action steps were really putting me closer to accomplishing my goal.

I asked myself if writing every single day was going to push me closer to my goal or just feel like an overwhelming chore.

I asked myself if the number of adventures is important, or if just having them would enough.

I asked if I even knew what the adventures would be, or if I just needed to practice saying yes.

I also asked myself what was motivating me to get off my butt and stop making excuses.

The crazy thing I came back to was how I immediately turned to Pinterest when the thoughts in my head became overwhelming and the goal seemingly unattainable.

It hit me that my Pinterest life is far more exciting and adventuresome than my actual life, and I'm no longer okay with it continuing along that vein.

I would much rather live a life full of adventures, worthy of being 'pinned' on some one's board; than continuing  to live a life where my only adventures are the ones I dream about on a media platform that might be gone in 5 years.

Life will be far more satisfying and fulfilling when I stop living my Pinterest life and embrace this chance I have to "DO LIFE!"


#dolife2015

No comments:

Post a Comment