Sunday, November 29, 2015

sunday musings

Does Christian living need to be made convenient for you to do it?

"Ouch."

That was my first thought after hearing this statement during church this morning.

"Huh, I must feel convicted, because that's a challenging thought."

That was my second thought. And in case you're wondering? Yes, this is an inner monologue. Because, that's how I roll.

"I hate the word conviction. It's all shaming and judgy and guilt inducing."

My third thought was a launching pad for random thoughts and rabbit trails. None of which will be spelled out here, because ain't nobody got time for that.

So instead, I'll do my best to nutshell my thoughts...

As stated above, I'm typically not a huge fan of the word "conviction."

I find it shaming and guilt inducing, which I believe to be the exact opposite of what Jesus would desire our response to be when we hear an applicable truth. 

But, I'm also not one to blindly dislike something, so, I looked up the definition.




As I stared at both definitions, it hit me. So often, we tend to hold onto the first definition as ultimate truth. 

When truth is spoken regarding a certain area of our lives, we bend down in shame, holding the weight of the world on our sinful shoulders.

No one else has felt that? Well, I know I have.

But then, I thought, what would happen if we latched onto the second definition as truth?

What if we were so convicted by our beliefs, those beliefs dictated our actions instead of our shame and guilt over not being good enough determining how we respond?

Personally, I'm motivated by my beliefs far more than by shame and guilt.

You know who else is motivated by convictions? Jesus.

Just think about the manger, the cross and the second coming.

Now, for arguments sake, I'll state the obvious in that we know Jesus didn't have sins over which to feel convicted. Where as we do.

I still believe that in order for real transformation to happen in our lives, we must be propelled forward by the belief that change is necessary, not the guilt that we should be better.

Just some Sunday evening thoughts that had me thinking. 

Have a great week everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment