Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Do Life 2015: Dressember

As 2015 is quickly drawing to a close, I have been praying how I could intentionally #dolife for these last 31 days.

Human trafficking is not an issue I gave much thought to until a few years ago.

I'm not proud of this, but I honestly didn't want to know. I didn't want to see the hurt, the pain or the despair. I wanted to stay in my bubble of safety and not go out.
Three years ago, I watched a film called "Rape for Profit", and my ignorance could no longer be excused or justified.

I now knew about an issue that goes far deeper than any of us realize. An issue that needs to be addressed and have much light brought into its darkness.

For that is how we affect change.

So what are the next steps? What should we do, and how should we go about it?

International Justice Mission and A21 Campaign every December to raise funds to combat and bring awareness to human trafficking.

The concept is this: women from around the world, commit to wearing a dress every day for the entire month of December. People post photos on social media to gain traction, and also ask for people to donate to the above mentioned organizations.

Why a dress?

To directly quote from Dressember's main page, "using fashion to advocate for women who've been exploited for their femininity. As women take on the creative challenge of wearing a dress for the 31 days of December, they are advocating for the inherent dignity of all women."

This is the first year I am participating in Dressember Campaign, and I'm so excited to see awareness raised and also to see what the Lord does in me.

My goal is to raise $1,000 over the next four weeks. My personal contributions will be made by relocating funds I currently spend.

Specifically, money I spend on coffee. The embarrassing amount of money I spend on coffee....

On average, a custom coffee is around $5. Just by relocating this money from my personal budget, I will be able to put approximately $150 towards fighting human trafficking by the end of December.

Imagine what we can do if everyone just gave up ONE or TWO coffees this month?? If you feel led to participate in my campaign, here is the direct link.

If you are not financially able to or led to give, prayers are always welcomed!

Also, if nothing else, I'd deeply encourage everyone to do some reading and put some research into this issue.

(These are the books I plan on reading this month)



There is a phrase people like to throw around, and it states "freedom isn't free." 

Which is true. But, more often than not, I think of lives being lost for freedom's sake, and not my bank account being a little lower than normal.

Sacrifice comes in many ways, and while I don't really see cutting back on coffee as a sacrifice, I do think it's worthwhile to put my money where my mouth is.

Let's live life together fully for the last 31 days of 2015! You never know what can happen!


#dolife2015 #dressember

2 comments:

  1. Love this! So glad you are helping bring more awareness to such a tragic and rampant thing going on right under our noses...in our own towns and communities.

    ReplyDelete