Thursday, December 31, 2015

simplicity 2016

I spent four months deciding what my theme for 2016 would be.

Four months talking about it. Dreaming about it. Telling EVERYONE about it.

And then today, it all shifted and changed like a toddler with an open bag of marbles.

I think it's crazy how sitting in a car for hours at time helps everything fall into perspective.

Maybe it's the constant change in scenery. 

Maybe it's the fact you are moving towards something. 

Or maybe, it's knowing that you could die at any moment  if some moron isn't watching what they're doing.

Regardless of why this act is so profitable for figuring out life's problems, my initial vision for this year was rocked by an unplanned road trip to Southern California.

I planned on spending Christmas with my gramma. Which I did.

I did not plan to drive to LA from Portland two days after Christmas. But I did.

And it was amazing.

It was spontaneous. It was filled with possibilities for chaos. I changed my mind 100x. But, it was also a needed escape. A time of exhaustion and refreshment all at the same time. 

So, while I spent over 30 hours on the road over the last five days, a great many things came into perspective for me.

1. I spend way to much time preparing for things that never happen.

2. Spontaneity is the thing that dreams are made of, and I need more of it.

3. Grand adventures do not require lots of money or even lots of planning.

4. Technology is overwhelming and wonderful all at the same time. 

(Example: it seems so unnecessary when I'm sitting on a sunny beach, but it's a great tool when I'm driving aimlessly through Long Beach)

5. My life is filled with things I don't need, nor do I really want.

As I was driving north on the freeway this morning, it hit me that my original "theme" is more of a project. 

A theme for me is something that permeates every single area of my life - for an entire year.

So while I sat in silence in the car this morning, I realized that this year's theme is simplicity.

I was overwhelmed with how peaceful I felt when I said the word out loud.

As I planned out my theme last year, I wasn't really sure where it would go. And this year is no different.

This year I want to discover and realize the things that truly bring happiness and life. 

I want to let go of the things that are not serving me well, but rather, are dragging me down.

So when an idea follows you around for five days like a dog with a bone, you  grab it and go. 


#simplicity2016 

No comments:

Post a Comment