Tuesday, November 29, 2016

simplicity 2016: dressember

"So wait, you're wearing the same dress. For the entire month?"

This is the question that I have gotten the most when I tell people about my plan for Dressember.

For those that don't know, Dressember is an anti-trafficking awareness campaign that takes place every December. Women around the globe commit to wearing a dress every day for the entire month. 

They take photos in their dresses and share on social media. They also raise money that goes to two grant partners that work to rescue individuals directly out of trafficking situations. 

It's pretty cool.

But the thing is, just wearing a dress doesn't rescue people.

Wearing a dress starts a conversation.

And by having conversations, we educate. And hopefully change some narratives and stories that are out there regarding women.

That is, where I believe, the power really lies. When we change the narrative in our head, and when we are more open to the action steps that need to happen, change occurs.

So why the same dress.

When I decided to practice a year of simplicity, I knew I wanted it to permeate every area of my life that it could. Even Dressember.

So, in keeping with my theme, I will be wearing the same dress for the entire month.

I didn't think I would care one way or the other if I wore the same thing. I mean, I wear the same jeans all week sometimes.

But in total transparency, I got up this morning and felt a twinge of sadness as I looked at all the clothes that were just going to sit there for a month.

Which sounds so silly. To be sad that clothes will be left unworn. But, silly or not, I felt it.

And that's one reason why I think this process will be good for me.I think it will be good to not focus so much on what I wear. But instead, to focus on the issue of human trafficking.

To focus on raising as much money as we can to fund rescue missions. To become more educated about how I can get involved with local organizations that are fighting this evil. To get outside of myself and realize my privilege. To ask questions and be curious about things that are happening outside my sphere. And work to change the things that take away the freedom and dignity of others.

And if wearing the same dress every day for a month gives me the space to do that, then I think it is a good thing.

The Dressember campaign has a quote, "The heart of Dressember is FREEDOM -- that every woman has the right to live a vibrant and autonomous life."

This is probably the single most inspiring thing about this campaign -- at least for me. The truth that every woman (man and child) has the right to freedom, dignity and respect.

And that's a message I want to share with the world. Because I think that mentality can change the world.

#simplicity2016


***if you are interested in participating, or in joining my team - click here for more info

No comments:

Post a Comment