Monday, January 9, 2017

intentionality 2017: 10k steps

It's 9:02pm

I'm supposed to be shutting down all technology.

But I'm not.

I'm blogging.

And why?

Because it's on my schedule, that's why.

And why exactly is that important?

It's important because I am trying to be more "intentional" about keeping the commitments that I make to myself.

Including the one that pushed all my other commitments back an hour.

10k steps.

So, I did this crazy thing. I committed to walking 10,000 steps every single day this month.

And for accountability and fun, I invited 7 other people to do it with me.

So far I am 7/9.

Which could potentially throw this perfectionist into a tailspin, but I am working on that too.....

Especially since by the end of the month, if I have 310,000 steps to my name, then I am still golden!

But because I made this commitment to myself and to seven other people, I trekked outside at 7:30pm this evening to get 'dem steps.

woof.

I really didn't want to. I wanted to keep eating the pizza that I brought home.

And before you ask... yes. it was vegan. AND gluten free.

Back to my steps....and the fact that I risked my life in the dark to get them. Just kidding. I live in the suburbs.

Moving on....

Here is what I am learning so far.... I have to schedule them.

And if I don't schedule them, they don't just magically happen.

Because let's be honest, I think I walk WAY more than I actually do each day.

Like, if you were to ask me what my step count was when I left work, I would've guess around 7,000.

Was it 7,000? No. Not even close. I was barely at 3,500

woof.

But like I said, I have to schedule this time in my day. And it's not easy. But I am reminded once again, that if it's important to me to get these steps, then I will make it happen.

A college professor once said, "We make time for that which is important to us." At least I thought he came up with that. And I seriously thought he was so wise.

Until I was listening to a public speaker years later, and he used the exact same quote, AND gave credit to C. J. Mahaney.... Plagiarism is still bad... m'kay?

Regardless of where the quote originated, the principle is still the same, and resonates deeply with me.

Because I can be a bit of a procrastinator. And while I have heard countless people say they do well under pressure, I don't really believe them. I don't believe them, because I used to say the same thing.

Pressure might cause me to get the job done, but pressure doesn't yield the best results. Pressure usually breaks things.

Glass. Wood. Your sanity.

Preparation and planning however, that is how I've truly yielded the best results.

Let me break it down this way....

If I get to January 31st, and I try to get all of my steps in at the last minute, there is no possible way that is going to happen.

You see, I can do about 10,000 steps in an hour. 24 hours in a day. 240,000 steps. You get the picture.

But, if I schedule an hour a day to get my steps in, then I am sure to get to my goal AND have time for everything else I am doing.

Working, preparing to go back to school, reading awesome books, eating pizza, etc... You know, important stuff.

It's now 9:22pm and I have some mint peach tea to go drink.

I also need to keep my technology down to a minimum or I'll be failing at that too....

woof.

#intentionality2017

No comments:

Post a Comment