Sunday, April 6, 2014

Wonder Woman Rents a U-Haul


Saturday mornings are made for laziness. They are made for sleeping in and having copious amounts of coffee being poured into my body.

On rare occasions, I plan things for my Saturdays. I plan adventures and outings and fun. Yesterday was one of those days. Two of my dear friends were getting engaged, and a surprise party was going to ensue. So I prepared. I planned. I covered my bases.

I woke up at 11. (Still get to be lazy when your party is at 2pm)
I made coffee and took a shower. (Coffee always comes first)
I applied my eyeliner, and curled my hair. (Necessities my friends, necessities)

So far things were looking good.

This would probably be a good time to mention that I currently do not own a car.
Lucy left this world for the next back in December. And because of my lack of wheels, I have learned to take public transit. And I have learned to take it well.

99% of the time I have no trouble. Buses show up on time. I make my connections. I am on time.

That  1%  though, it really likes to try my patience.

I plan my trips down to the minute detail. I arrive at the bus stop on time. I know my connecting bus.

However, bus drivers do not always share my pension for promptness. Today was one of those days.

When he finally did decide to show up, he did so ten minutes later than schedule. Looking like Ernest Hemingway in need of a haircut.

By this time, my curled hair was frizzing and puffing all over the place. Because…. I was out in the wind and rain for the ten minutes my driver was taking his sweet time getting there. Thanks Ernest.

Under normal circumstances, I would have been grateful for Ernest and his lead foot. Except that his lead foot was on the brake, and not the gas. I now need to go to the chiropractor.

More often than not, I am calm. I am put together, and I am a problem solver. But, when I arrived at the transit center, and I realized I had missed by connecting bus by 4 minutes, my flare for the dramatic arose with a vengeance.

So I sat down on a bench and cried. For two minutes. I fussed and fumed. I had tried! I had planned! And it didn’t work!

A cab would take too long to get there. So I’d miss the party.
The next bus was an hour away. So I’d miss the party.
I could try walking. But again, I’d miss the party.

In a moment of weakness, I was about to give up and go home. When, I remembered that I am a powerful resourceful woman with an iron will.

There is always a way, and I would find it.

Eureka! My light bulb went on, and I knew what to do!

My dear friends, I live right beside a U-haul rental facility. I can drive a pick up truck. A cargo van and a box truck.  No set of wheels are too much for this girl.

This is happening. I am making it to that party.

Twenty minutes later I was on my way to that party. I made it on time.The bride to be was perfectly surprised. The atmosphere was enchanting, and happiness flowed from every person in attendance.

You see, memories are important. Memories cannot be retrieved once the opportunity has past. It’s now or never. And, when you want something bad enough, you get it. No matter what it takes. How long it takes. Or how outside of the box it is.

You do it. You follow through. You make it happen.

And it's always worth it. Always.

it was probably cheaper than a taxi anyway....

No comments:

Post a Comment