Saturday, June 18, 2016

simplicity 2016: a cleansing rain

I have lived in the PNW for my entire life, minus four years of college in gross nasty desert California.

Because of this, I sometimes take for granted the cleansing power of the rain.

Think about it for a moment, don't you often find yourself taking for granted that which brings great value to your life?

Especially if it's something that happens often?

I know I do.

While I have always enjoyed the rain, I lately have found myself craving and basking in the glorious heat wave that has hit Seattle.

June has a tendency to be a little rainy, so this heat wave has been a pleasant surprise. At least for me.

But yesterday and this morning it was wet and cold and a little miserable.

Like, it was raining, but not really. It was light enough that you didn't need a jacket, but when you go to pump gas, giant drops of water hit you aggressively in the eye. #rude

Which is the most annoying kind of rain. And to be perfectly honestly, I was inwardly really salty about it.

Because I want to be outside and when it is rainy, I don't.

I know, first world problems.

I came home from some errands this morning, drank some coffee, ate mac and cheese (always a good choice) and fell asleep on the couch (it's been a long week, don't judge me for taking a nap at 11:30 in the morning).

I woke up to the sound of POURING rain outside my window.

And instead of being pissy about it (apparently the nap fixed that), I felt oddly calm and at peace.

I realized in that moment that rain has this incredible cleansing affect on not just the earth, but also on my soul.

When I was in southern California, it didn't rain very often.

And when it did, it stunk and just made a huge mess.

But here in Washington, while we do have floods and the rain can create problems, it more often than not gives the earth this sweet, clean smell of new beginnings.

It was probably because I am so tired, but I couldn't stop myself from crying a little.

I cried as I thought about my Serve Seattle family that just graduated and moved out today.

I teared up yet again as I thought about having to move. #stresscentral

And I teared up as I realized that Jesus created this simply, yet beautiful way of giving us a fresh start.

Maybe we mess up and do something stupid.

Maybe we are in over our heads and are not sure how to get out.

Perhaps we just have too much going on and need to simplify.

Regardless of the need, I am realized that the solution is often the same.

Rain.

Specifically a cleansing rain.

I think that's why the old hymn uses the analogy of all our sins being "washed away."

And maybe that's why God used a flood so long ago. To give the world a fresh start.

However, this afternoon, I am basking in the cleansing nature of this therapeutic rain as it compels me to slow down and breathe.

As it reminds me that tomorrow is a new day, and I have the opportunity to start fresh.

That no matter what I face, I serve a God who is in control and loves me enough to send a cleansing rain.

The cleansing stream I see, I see;
I plunge, and O it cleanseth me!
O praise the Lord it cleanseth me!
It cleanseth me, yes, cleanseth me.


#simplicity2016


No comments:

Post a Comment