Monday, June 27, 2016

simplicity 2016: "the more of less"

Last April I was feeling a little overwhelmed by all the things I had going on in my life.

To be honest, I don't remember what they were, but I know I must've been super stressed because I purchased this book called "Simplify" by Joshua Becker. On Amazon. And read it in under two hours.

It was amazing.

So amazing in fact, that I wrote a review. And shared it on Facebook. And then my friend Jessica read it.

The book. Not the review. So that was cool.

And tonight, over a year later, I sat in a bookstore with 40-60 people and listened to this same guy (Joshua Becker) talk about his new book. And also talk about how this idea of minimalism and simplicity started in his own life.

(Wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for my above mentioned pal Jessica. Shout out for her!)

Now, I'm not going to recap his entire story, but if you are interested, check out his books or his blog.

Both awesome resources.


Instead, I am just feeling the need to share what I got out of tonight. And if you are still reading this, thanks. Appreciate the companionship.

You see, I recently finished clearing my home of things that I know longer want/need/or that no longer serve me.

And I have been in utter awe since I finished that process almost a week and a half ago.

In awe of how much...LIGHTER I feel.

I mean, I know that literally I got rid of hundreds of pounds of stuff - which is embarrassing, but I physically feel lighter and I can't exactly explain it.

I feel like I have more energy, and I know I am definitely getting more things done. So that's a nice pay off.

But then tonight, Joshua mentioned that clutter in our home actually occupies space in our brains.

Because we are managing the clutter mentally, even if we aren't dealing with it physically.

Which makes total sense.

Because I am a planner and a manager. So if I plan all day at work and manage all day at work, only to come home and continue managing, then it's no wonder I am always so tired.

The amount of relief and emptiness I have been feeling has been more refreshing than I ever thought possible.

So with that part done, I guess I am on to the next thing?

I mean, I don't know what simplicity is going to hold for me the rest of the year, but I sure am thankful to have started it.

I think the reason I avoided it for so long was because having a little bit of clutter to manage became my protective shield.

If I was busy cleaning and tidying, then maybe someone won't yell at me. If I keep myself occupied with organizing stuff, someone can't manipulate or harm me.

But, I am not in danger anymore. I am safe.

I no longer need to hide behind the armor that is stuff.

I am secure in my less and in fact, I am safer because of it.

Tonight was an affirmation. One that I think I needed more than I realized.

An affirmation that I am doing what is healthy and good for me. And that it is what God has wholeheartedly called me into this year.

So friend? I am affirming you. Whatever you are doing for your healing and wellness, keep doing it.

If you need a cheerleader, I am standing here with my pom-poms.

You are doing great and don't forget that!

Minimalism is the intentional promotion of the things we most value and the removal of anything that distracts us from it.”

#simplicity2016

No comments:

Post a Comment