Tuesday, June 14, 2016

simplicity 2016: hanging plants and baby birds

Back in April, I wrote a post about my long procrastinated project of planting a garden.

I planted some herbs, potted some lavender and hung a fuchsia basket that was supposed to have magnificent purple and dark pink blooms.

And has it ever blossomed! It's quite possibly my favorite part of my little garden.

And today, I discovered that it is also the favorite place of my two new neighbors.

The most adorable little birds I have ever seen!

Unfortunately, I think I scared a few months off their lives when I went to water my fuchsia this afternoon....

I turned on the hose, carried it over to the basket and started watering the plant.

Then, as soon as the water hit the soil, a tiny bird SHOT out of the basket and perched on the ledge underneath the upstairs desk.

He just sat there, puffing his chest and staring straight ahead, hoping I wouldn't see him.

I walked over to inspect the basket a little more closely, and he got extremely agitated and flew away, squawking vehemently at me.

When I peered inside, I realized why.

His woman was inside and I was invading their space.

I didn't see any eggs, but I am almost positive she is pregnant or the eggs are hidden. Otherwise she would have left the nest too.

I had to snap a photo, but tried to be super quiet and careful. Then I creeped away. Well, I had to shoo the crow away. He was being a douche and needed to leave.

If you are still reading, you know I am about to tie this to simplicity in some way, shape or form.

My thought might be a little jumbled, but here they are:

1) I am stressing out about moving, but these little babes know and expect to have a temporary home.

2) How am I going to protect these little babies when I move?!?

3) I strangely feel like I have my own little bird family and it's weirdly comforting?

4) I am totally naming them. Mr & Mrs Fitzwilliam and Geraldine Peabody

5) I really hope the babies come before I move. Otherwise I am leaving the plant here and just getting a new one. Because I am not going to be responsible for killing baby birds. Or making them homeless.

Those were the main thoughts.

The other main thought I had hit me when I walked inside and stopped annoying them.

I guess this is where simplicity ties in...

When I realized they were in there, everything stopped.

I mean everything felt like it stood completely still.

There was this beautiful moment when it hit me that new life was happening right under my nose.

Right by my front door, another story of life was taking place.

You see, life is busy.

At least where I live.

And I don't see it changing any time soon.

And amidst all the chaos and busyness, I often forget I have control over how crazy my life gets.

I can't control all of it, but I am realizing I have a lot more say in my schedule than I think I do.

My little neighbors reminded me of that important fact. They reminded me that life at its core is truly about the day to day.

Vision and long term goals are important; but, if we don't have time to stop to smell flowers and watch pretty birds, then we are too busy.

I know they won't stay forever, because they have other things to do; but, I really hope we stay for the same length of time.

Because they are cute and are keeping me company. And I am selfish and want to peek at baby birds!

They are also reminding me about practicing simplicity. So that helps too.

"a bird is safe in its nest - but that is not what its wings are made for..."

#simplicity2016

No comments:

Post a Comment