Friday, February 12, 2016

simplicity 2016: community = thai food

I say often, usually as a joke, that I eat way too much Thai food.

Which is probably true.

I also probably don't care.

Yeah.... I don't care.

Sure, I could say that for "simplicity's" sake I should probably be making dinner from scratch. At home. For around $2/plate. #beingfrugal

But, I'm finding that simplicity isn't just about saving money or cooking at home.

Sometimes it's about choosing to do things a different way because you want something greater, better or different.

So tonight I went and ordered some takeout Thai after spending two hours with some of the best girls in the world.

I walked into the restaurant and waited at the counter for my order. While I was waiting, a lady walked in and stood next to me. 

I smiled at her and she smiled back, while sheepishly saying, "You know you order out too much when they know your name AND they notice you are ordering something different when you call ahead..."

If she hadn't looked so embarrassed I would've laughed out loud. 

Instead, I reassured her that it wasn't bad at all and that it's kind of nice when people know your name.

Mostly to justify my own Pad thai obsession.

But then I paused, and she said the very words running through my head.

"Yeah. It is nice. Because it shows you have a community. When people know you."

I smiled as she walked away and thought about how very true that is.

We live in a world where you can order and receive your food without even having to communicate with another human being.

You can do all your shopping from behind a computer screen.

You can build an entire freaking farm without even breaking a sweat.

We have totally lost the art of creating community.

But some people and some groups are finding a way to get it back. 

A year and a half ago, I never would have thought community would mean so much to me.

And as sit here eating my delicious Thai food (which is not a Level 2 spice by the way #liars), I'm basking in the warmth that still lingers in my house from having my community come hang out.

It will embarrass them if they read it, but Erika, Alana, Alix and Courtney are gems in my heart bracelet and I adore theme

Also not sure if heart bracelet is a thing. But it's allegorical and pretty and I like it.

So get over it. 

And even though it's also my job, I can't imagine a family or community more wonderful than Serve Seattle.

I'm thankful for the simplicity (see what I did there Cody Pearce?) with which Jesus reminded me that community is not just within the four walls of the church. 

But that it is also at the gas station, at the grocery store, and on the empty bench at the Thai place where creepy old grandpas hit on you while you wait for your fresh rolls and peanut sauce. 

#simplicity2016




No comments:

Post a Comment