Tuesday, February 9, 2016

simplicity 2016: lent

I will be the first to admit I don't know much about Lent or the spiritual history behind this practice.

If you asked me a week ago what I thought it was, my answer would be as follows:

"Lent is a Catholic/religious holiday that involves fasting."

And that's about all I know.

In a nutshell, my definition is accurate, but I know there is more to it than that.

So as part of my simplicity challenge, I am choosing to participate in Lent.

In my head I totally thought that Lent was only for a week, so naturally I was not concerned about it at all.

Nope, it's 40 DAYS....

(I have so much to learn...)

Since I am in unfamiliar territory, I will keep my intentions short and attainable.

I truly want this to be a time where Jesus has full creative freedom in my life to teach me lessons I've been too "busy" to learn.

From what I have read so far, the habit of fasting for Lent is intended for the practicing of self discipline in preparation for one of the most holy of days - Easter.

And while fasting is usually connected to food and water, I have something else that is a bigger distraction in my life.

Netflix.

I cringe even writing that, because I don't want to be that person.

I don't want to be the person who comes home every night with the intention of reading a mountain of books, only to be distracted by the quippy comebacks on Parks and Rec.

To be fair, they are pretty amazing. Not the point of this at all, but still...

If I am honest with myself, television is a HUGE distraction in my life.

A distraction from my goals and from the opportunity to be alone with my thoughts and with God.

I mentioned in a previous post, cutting my technologyusage way back was actually quite wonderful.

But then I got lazy and un-motivated because it got hard. And I am a creature of habit.

So, in the spirit of self-discipline and a heart to learn more about Jesus, here are my 3 commitments for Lent:

1) no tv during the week (exceptions might be made if I'm with friends, but no watching alone)
2) no social media after 8pm (this includes any app that isn't texting or making phone calls)
3) follow a 40 day Bible reading plan (leaning towards a plan from the SheReadsTruth app)

While I know fasting is typically private and you shouldn't talk about it, for accountabilities sake I'm going to blog about my experience and hopefully open the door for others to share what they are learning and what God is showing them.

Nervous and excited about the next 40 days, but also stoked to see where I am at the end!

#simplicity2016

No comments:

Post a Comment