Sunday, January 3, 2016

simplicity 2016: technology overload

Ah, the dreaded "get off your cellphone" post.

However, before you get pissed and leave this link to go check Instagram (it's there too btw), let me preface with the promise that I will not be a hypocrite.

I have texted while driving.

I have stared at my phone while crossing the street, only to almost get my butt run over.

I have stayed up until 12:30am reading BuzzFeed articles.

Who am I kidding, I was taking quizzes about what kind of pasta I should eat tomorrow.

Because apparently I cannot make that decision for myself. Even though I am a grown arse woman who pays rent and has a job.

I have been glued to my phone when someone was talking to me, and I didn't hear a single word they said. How rude of me...

I have used my phone as a distraction when I am bored, and a solution when I don't want anyone to talk to me.

So, I cannot get on a soapbox and tell other people what to do.

Instead, I'll just share how I am going to address my technology addiction.

Two nights ago, I left my phone in the living room before going to bed. And instead, like my parents did, used an old school alarm clock to get up the next morning.

It really shouldn't have created any anxiety, but it did. Not proud of that at all, but there I was, laying there wanting to check Facebook.

Even though the chances of my having any notifications were slim to none.

Last night was better. I was in bed earlier than normal and slept better than I have in months. That should tell me something right there.

My rational for years has been, "What if someone needs me?" And, if I am honest, the number of times someone has called at 2am are extremely low. So there goes that excuse.

I have also started putting my phone in my backpack instead of mounted on my dash when I am driving.

Why? Well, because I can tell myself that I am not going to text and drive; but I still get 'bored' at red lights and want to check social media.

Even though no one has messaged me, poked me or liked any of my crap.

Finally, I am putting my phone away while I am sitting in church. This shouldn't be something that's even an issue. But it is.

So, I put it in my bag, on the floor, out of sight. But it wasn't out of mind. Which is so terrible.

It's terrible that I cannot even sit through an hour and a half service without checking my 3"x5" piece of glass and radiation.

It's only been three days of  COAT (cellphone overload adjustment therapy). That is not a thing by the way. Maybe it should be, but that's just what I am calling this part of my simplicity challenge.

So what's my take away for that past few days?

I am sleeping better, my neck doesn't hurt from looking at the ground and I got so much out of the message this morning.

I also had time to cook all my meals from scratch, do laundry, clean my house, hang with friends AND read books. All while being in bed before or by 10:30pm.

What is happening in my life?

Simplicity.

That's what is happening, and I am kind of in love with it.

Even though it is uncomfortable and will take some getting used to.

Overall? It's pretty great.

#simplicity2016



No comments:

Post a Comment