Saturday, January 9, 2016

simplicity 2016: i bought a watch

What is this? 1950? No one wears a watch anymore.

Or uses an actual alarm clock. Or does anything unless there is a digital aspect to it.

Honestly? It's kind of sad that the simplicity of certain actions are being lost amidst the technological chaos that is our world.

And I love technology (as I sit here and blog from my computer).

I just know I am missing out on cool things because of it.

As a kid, I would sit in the living room, watching my dad change all of the watches and clocks in the house whenever time change season would come around.

Let me tell you, it was quite the process. But also such fun to watch. There was a method and a system to it. And maybe I'm just a big nerd, but I loved it.

During this first week of simplicity, I have noticed some things. Had some observations if you will.

Some great, some embarrassing, some surprising.

- sticking to my budget is harder than I remember

- I have never been so excited to have money leftover to buy Thai food

- gift cards are a blessing when you have a budget

- social media is an evil curse and a fortunate blessing

- my phone battery is lasting so much longer than it used to

- using my phone less is freeing and annoying at the same time


I also realized how impatient I am.

If I have a random thought, I want to Google it immediately. Because, you know, I might forget that I want to know what a tortoise shell actually weighs. Or if they eat popcorn in India.

If I am at a red light, I want to check FB. Because apparently sitting still for two minutes is a ridiculous expectation to have for yourself.

If I want to know what time it is, I have to find a computer or grab my phone. Since apparently no one wears watches anymore.

So I decided I would get a watch. Nothing fancy, because you know I am on a budget, but functional and simple.

Last night I went to Target, with a gift card (see how I'm sticking to that budget??), and bought a watch for under $15.

This morning I put it on. Since that's why I bought it.

And you know what was amazing?

I barely checked my phone for the first 6 hours of the day. In fact, I left it in my car for most of the time I was out.

Talk about feeling free.

Then it hit me. That's why I waste time on my phone.

I pull it out to check the ACTUAL time, but become distracted by all its other notifications and functions.

I pull it out for one task and one task only, and before you know it, I am reading a BuzzFeed article about Kim Kardashian.

Which is insane because I don't even care about Kim Kardashian.. #facepalm

Today I really liked feeling free.

I also really liked being on time.

I also really really like my new watch.

Simplicity is fun. Sometimes it's hard. But today it was fun.

#simplicity2016

No comments:

Post a Comment