Wednesday, January 6, 2016

simplicity 2016: banana bread is great

When I was growing up, my favorite part of banana bread was the top. It was gooey and sweet and I was a picky little twit who was extremely particular about her food.

Still am, but now I eat my vegetables. Instead of lying about them giving me a headache. Such a great adult I am turning out to be.

Speaking of being adult, I now make my own banana bread, it's quite divine and might even be better than my mom's. (don't tell her)

Even if it is gluten free and...gasp....vegan. What is this world coming to?

And my favorite part now is ALL OF IT. As in the whole loaf. You heard me, the whole dang thing.

Since becoming a vegan almost four years ago, I don't bake nearly as often as I used to. Something about eggs and butter and gluten - all that stuff that makes baking easy.

But, when I do decide bake, it's still an oddly relaxing and centering ritual that can pull me out of the weirdest of moods.

It also doesn't hurt that I live alone and get to eat the entirety of whatever I create. So there's that.

This is still my first week of practicing an attitude of simplicity, and to be honest, it's a little exhausting.

Most likely due to the fact that I have to do everything 1000%, and the rate at which my brain is going is tiring and makes me want to eat.

And last night I did.

That loaf came out of the oven, piping hot and smelling of cinnamon and chocolate. For that is how banana bread should be made my friends.

I cut a slice, put a ginormous slab of "butter" on it, sat on the most perfect couch in the whole world with a cup of tea and took a deep breath.

Simplicity.

It's not just being a minimalist, or a penny pincher or even someone who goes off the grid.

I'm re-learning that sometimes it's just fully experiencing and enjoying the small things in the moment that they are happening.

You see, I had the bread again this morning and it was great. But you cannot re-create that piping hot, freshly baked slice of heaven unless you make another loaf.

It's a one time deal. And we shouldn't miss out on those. Because they are amazing in their simplicity. Designed to be enjoyed.

#simplicity2016






No comments:

Post a Comment