Saturday, January 30, 2016

simplicity 2016: shuffle mode

Two months ago I bought a record player.

Merry Christmas to me. #bossstatus

Basically, it is the most amazing thing in the entire whole.

If my house was on fire and I could only grab one thing, it probably wouldn't be the record player. 

But, I would totally think about it. For like two seconds. And then grab my phone, wallet and keys like a responsible adult. Yes, Mom, I would also grab a jacket and some pants..... sheesh.

Anyway, this thing is super cool and when I play it, I feel like I should put on pearls and vacuum my house. OR, set it up on the hood of my car. At the beach. Because it's portable. #boom

Back to to the matter at hand - simplicity.

It didn't really occurs to me that listening to music could be another area in which I could find value in simplifying.

Because honestly, it sounds weird.

Simplify your music? What does that even mean? 

If you think I am deleting my iTunes library or my Spotify playlists you are sadly mistaken. That's a lot of wasted hours right there and I will go down defending all 4,000 song on my iPod.

Let me explain...

I come home every evening and do one of two things.

1) Watched recorded episodes of The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and eat Thai food. (because I love Jimmy Fallon and I love Thai food)

2) Transform into a responsible adult who cooks her own meals and listens to music on Spotify. (because cooking is fun and Spotify Premium had a $.99/3 months special and that's legit)

If I am honest with myself though, I do that first one a whole lot more than the second.

And while watching television isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's something I think, at times, I should limit.

Except for tonight. When I watch Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. That's important. Star Wars is always important.

However, I noticed earlier this month as I dove into this idea of simplicity, quiet music and cooking as my creative outlet is pretty dang relaxing. 

It's also cheaper than Thai food. So there is always that.

Back to my record player.

I had my player for about two weeks before I bought any albums. I wanted my first purchase to be perfect, iconic and amazing. 

So, on a Saturday afternoon, I went to a music store and purchased a used, vintage Simon & Garfunkel album (Dad, you should be proud), along with a few others I found.

When I got home and put it on, you would have thought I had won the lottery. I was giddy and neurotic and I couldn't stop smiling.

It made that perfect crackling sound as the needle dropped and the turntable started to move.

Heaven. Absolute heaven. Homeward Bound has never sounded so good.

While I stood there, soaking up the years of history and nostalgia that only my parents would understand, this thought hit me.

Well, technically it hit me when I had to flip the record over. But, who is being technical? Shut up.

The thought was this: "With a record, there is no shuffle mode. You can't pick the song you want and listen to it immediately. You have to wait. You have to be totally present in the moment, or you will miss it."

As I chewed on that thought for the rest of the evening, it occurred to me yet again how often I flit from one thing to the next. 

How incredibly hard it can be at times to sit still, and how much I miss because I am not being present.

My record player cost around $80. My record cost about $8. The time I am regaining by sitting still has no price, but has a crap ton of value.

I know you thought I was going to make a MasterCard priceless commercial pun. And I was. But then I changed my mind. And instead of deleting it. I left it. 

Because I am lazy and want to go eat a cupcake.

Take a minute to slow down though. Listen to the WHOLE song. Read the book COMPLETELY. Finish the ENTIRE 19 Seasons of Law&Order:SVU on Netflix. Well, maybe not that one. But you get my drift.

Shuffle mode is over-rated.

#simplicity2016



No comments:

Post a Comment