Sunday, January 17, 2016

simplicity 2016: discomfort is revealing

A week ago I was challenged to give up technology for a week.

And apparently, I suck at it.

It's something I thought would be challenging for sure, but I didn't think it would be so hard.

I didn't realize it was such a distraction from things that are painful and ugly.

I thought it was just a conditioned habit when I'm bored.

I also was not accurately tracking how often I use technology for my day to day tasks.

And right there would be such a great reason to prove why I need technology.

But, I know the truth.

Technology is just a way to accomplish things faster.

Not always better. Not always more efficiently.

Not always simpler.

And that's what blew my mind.

Technology isn't making things easier for me emotionally.

It's just distracting me from dealing with my 'ish.

It isn't making my life easier. 

It's just off putting the things I need to deal with.

So instead of dealing, I binged on Facebook.

Instead of sitting in my mess, I read a lot of Buzzfeed and Googled every question in my head.

Because there is so much discomfort in dealing with your stuff.

And it's discomfort I need to sit with. Without my phone. Without tv. Without email.

Even though I don't like it, I will do it.

Because it's revealing.

And that's powerful.

#simplicity2016

No comments:

Post a Comment