Saturday, February 20, 2016

simplicity 2016: pray for sunsets

I love prayer.

I love the peace that surrounds me when I am deep in it.

I love the mystical sense of wonder that fills me when it's taking place.

I love knowing that Jesus hears me and honestly gives two craps about what I have to say.

I also love the all consuming feeling of giddiness that fills me up when a super specific prayer gets answered.


On Monday morning, I drove a van full of people to Rockaway Beach, OR. Which by itself was loads of fun. But the amount of precipitation that fell from the sky while I was driving, was not.

Now don't get me wrong, I love a good rain shower. When I am inside. On a couch. With a warm blanket and a hot cup of coffee.

I do not enjoy driving in it.

Especially when I am surrounded by semi trucks and looping through windy roads.

Because I choose life. 

It then continued to pour off and on for the next two days.

Until Wednesday night.

But wait, let me back up for a minute.

On Monday afternoon, I spoke a super specific prayer for our group and our trip. And at the end of the prayer I said, 

"Jesus, can you please give us the most beautiful sunset ever on Wednesday night before we leave?"



Fast Forward to Wednesday...

Wednesday was a rough day. Actually, let me correct that. Wednesday was a day I probably could've used an N-A-P.

I'm not usually a crabby person, but as my aunt would say, "You probably just had your panties in a wad about something."

I was a little tired, my legs were sore from hiking, I was probably hangry and just needed a good hug.

So while I marinated in my little mood, I completely forgot about my prayer for a sunset.

Thankfully I had told my friend Melissa about it, because around 6pm on Wednesday evening, she grabs my arm and says, 

"Elizabeth! It's your sunset!!!"


Everything shifted in that moment.

We all ran to get our jackets, shoes and cameras. Then, we took off towards the beach.

I honestly don't know if I can put into words how unbelievably happy I was in that moment.

It was like everything else stopped and it was just me, God and the sunset.

Magical. Simply magical.

Then Jesus and I had some real talk. Because that's what happens when you stand on a beach in the middle of winter and stare at a sunset that absolutely blows your mind.

I don't know if other people hear God or even how He communicates to them. But with me it's pretty direct, a little sassy and slightly uncomfortable. All in a good way.

His words to me that night on the beach went as follows:

"When you asked Me, I gave you a denim couch. I gave you a free piano. I gave you a place to live, a dream job and NOW I have shifted the heavens for you to create this gorgeous masterpiece. 

So, when are you going to start asking me for what you REALLY want?"


Ouch. Don't hold back or anything, okay? #hateitwhenthathappens

He was right though. 

I haven't been asking for the things I really REALLY want. I've been asking, but there has always been a hesitation and a pause. 

Because sometimes asking is hard and uncomfortable. And even though I shouldn't, I still feel some shame when I ask for big things.

However, I believe in the power of prayer and I believe that my Jesus hears me. 

So I did it. I asked. And I am going to keep doing it. Because it works. Scary? Oh yes. Worth it? You bet.

So pray big.

Pray really big.

Pray for sunsets.

#simplicity2016



No comments:

Post a Comment