Wednesday, December 28, 2016

simplicity 2016: a year in the life



366 days ago, I sat on a sunny, albeit breezy beach in Southern California, thinking about this idea of simplicity.

To be honest, my mind was spinning, and I felt overwhelmed AND excited at the same time.

There was something really appealing about living my life with less stuff. I traveled lightly most of the time, and that was nice. So I thought that living the same way might also be a nice change of pace.

But I had this hesitation....

I had read for years about people who were super organizers and had achieved minimalism nirvana by living in a white walled apartment with only 12 items to their name.

And while simplifying was practically screaming my name, I was almost 100% positive I didn't want my life to look like that. Because that looked like a cult. No thank you.

Over the past year, simplicity has taken on many forms, emotions, experiences and paths. None bad. All teachable moments in my life.

To continue something I started last year, I give you my Year in the Life: A Recap of Simplicity

January - Oh January, you glorious month of new beginnings and fresh starts. You are the most motivating and the most empowering. But that's what makes you sneaky... Because by the end of those first 31 days, I start to ask myself what have I gotten into this time. I got rid of some dresses. I attacked my budget, and I realized once again, that I cannot sit still.






February - I learned a long time ago to pray for magical, beautiful, big things and then expect Jesus to show off and come through for me. And He did. In the form of a sunset. The most divine sunset. The most heartfelt answer to prayer, because I think Jesus was saying to me that the deepest desires of my heart were coming. Coming soon.



March - March, you were crazy busy. But loads of fun. I took a work trip. I met a really cool girl who came to Serve Seattle. I got some earrings from Africa, and I got to see two of my favorite humans. It was rad.



April - Finally... I planted my garden. And by garden, I mean I planted cilantro and parsley. And some basil that never grew. But I did it. So that was a cool thing.



May - Apparently nothing excited happened in May. Because I didn't blog at all. Oh wait... my friend Dawn got married and I met my best friend's sweet little boy. So those were cool.... :)




June - Once upon a time I thought I was going to get my identity hacked and I kept all the receipts. And I mean all of them. I also fangirled over Joshua Becker. I'm not ashamed of that. At all.




July - This was a sobering month. I reflected hard core on my privilege as a white woman. I asked questions and sat with the answers. If you have never done that, please start. We all have a lot to learn.



August - I like to think I can accomplish all the things. All the time. At the same time. For eternity. I cannot. So I started trying to focus on 1-2 things at a time. It's hard. But it's nice. The shuttle express driver woke up my landlords and I stressed out about the trash under my sink. But even those were good things. I think...




September - Jesus has a lot to say about simplicity, if I will only listen to Him. Thought I could learn it in a month. Haha. I'm hilarious.



October - I'm a firm believer that I have learned more about life from my grandmothers than any other humans on earth. Oh, and in my next life? I wanted to be a honey bee. Or a yoga instructor. Or both. A yoga instructing honey bee.



November - No Spend November is apparently a really popular thing. And I suck at it. Because I like food. And books. But hey, I found out instant coffee is gross. So that has to count for something.



December - I wore the same dress for a month. And it was delightful and stress free. No sarcasm. I'm being serious. Oh, and in case you were wondering? Jesus was a minimalist. And a pretty darn good one.




I thought about being really inspiring and stuff here at the end, but if you are still reading, I want to reward you and keep it brief. You're welcome.

Simplicity is my most favorite theme to date.

It's like a really good friend who has to move away, but you know you will always be able to pick up where you left off. And that's such a comforting feeling.

As with my other themes, I want simplicity to become a part of who I am. Another way of being. Something that is now so ingrained, I don't even think twice when I practice it.

My most treasured take away is the one that says, "simplicity is about having the most room in your heart for the things that matter..."

2016, you've been divine.
2017, I'm ready for you.

#simplicity2016



2 comments: